Here’s a few answers to some common questions:

What’s needed to tow my new Teardrop?

You need tow package with a 2″ ball and standard flat 4 pin connection for trailer brake lights. Unless you’re getting trailer brakes then you’ll need a round 7 pin connection and brake controller. Ideally you’ll want to buy a ball mount that either raises or lowers the ball so it’s sitting 18″ off the ground. That way you tow flat and when you get to camp you don’t need to unhook the hitch to sleep level. We have found that your local Uhaul Dealer is typically the best deal in town to have a tow package installed.

Do I need trailer brakes?

It depends on your vehicle but our trailers are so lightweight in most cases it’s not necessary.

Can a Bend Teardrop go off-road?

The stock clearance to the bottom of the Axle is 12″ which is higher than most trucks. If you drive conservatively it can go pretty much anywhere your car can, gravel, dirt and rutted roads etc… In most cases all that “Overland” stuff is up-sell overkill, very few Teardrop users ever have legitimate use for torsion axles and articulating hitches aside from telling people about it.

Will towing a Teardrop kill my gas millage?

Since our Teardrops are so lightweight and the same profile as most vehicles you won’t see a significant change in fuel economy like full size campers.

What is the AC Outlets Shore Power Hookups Option?

AC outlets are regular home 110 volt outlets so you can plug in a toaster or some other home appliance. With any RV you purchase these outlets only function when hooked up to “shore power” (power provided at a campsite or through a generator). Typically when you camp at an “RV” campsite they provide power, water and sewer so you can hookup your RV. Our Teardrops are small enough you can camp in most “tent” sites and don’t need to pay extra for an “RV” site unless you want power and water. Your Teardrop lights, fan, usb and 12v chargers all function off battery so there’s no need for shore power unless you want to plug in a 110v appliance. I personally only use AC outlets when running a space heater snow camping a few times a year. If you want this option we can install outlets in the cabin and galley for $200 or we can install the outlets and add a battery charger to charge the battery when plugged into shore power for $300. If you have rooftop solar your typically don’t need the charger.  

Can you install a cooler in the back Galley that slides out?

We are not big fans of coolers installed in the galley for many reasons. First of all a cooler is already a cabinet that needs to be cleaned and filled before each trip so putting a cabinet in a cabinet is a giant waste of space. The whole idea behind having a camper is to be always packed and ready to go with minimal setup, the under counter storage comes in very handy for pots, pans, propane, plates, etc… everything you don’t see in the competition’s pictures with slide out coolers and once the cooler slides out the counter space is unusable. We use a lightweight 3/4 galley hatch door and insulate the floor so for the counter height to be ergonomic only a 12″ high cooler will fit. Unlike some builders who use most of a tongue mounted storage box to store batteries etc.. we tuck the batteries, battery charger, fuses, kill switch and solar conditioner neatly under the sink that way the tongue mounted storage box is free for chairs, stove, grass carpet, toys etc… We find it best for your Teardrop to always be packed with gear so you’re always ready to go, your cooler is the one item that rides in your car and when you get to camp you just set it next to the galley. Not only is all your gear, counter and food accessible you also have another place to sit next to the kitchen. Lastly a heavy cooler in the back is not safe for towing, all trailers tow better with the weight distributed towards the front.

Do you offer Air Conditioners with your Teardrops?

We found standard rooftop Air Conditioners to be too cold for the cabin of a Teardrop. They also limit roof rack functionality and hinder the use of the 12v powered roof vent. Between the two door windows and the 10 speed 2 way roof vent you get plenty of cross ventilation as is, in most places Air Conditioning is not necessary. If you happen to be camping in an extremely hot and humid place like Texas or Florida we’ve found the best solution to be a portable AC unit. We can do a 2,300 BTU unit and add an exhaust vent to the Camper for $1,000. Be aware you’ll need 110v AC Shore Power or a Generator for these to function. They will also run for a short period of time with an inverter and Lithium Battery but a 110v power source is your best bet for long term cooling. 

What kind of mattress should I get?

A Queen Mattress will fit in a 5×8 and 5×10. The 6×12 fits a California King on the floor and a Full Size on the bunk. For the 6×12 bunk we recommend a Full Size 3″ thick memory foam topper instead of a mattress so the kids have the most headroom. For the floor we recommend a Spring Mattress (not memory foam, they collect moisture) about 6″ thick, there are several available online for around $200. If ordered online they come shrink wrapped which makes it easy to install. If you go with a Tri-Fold Mattress (Mattress that folds into couch) we recommend going with a size smaller (Full for 5×10 & 5×8, Queen for 6×12) so there’s room to maneuver it.

What do we do for heat?

Our Teardrops are well insulated so a heat source isn’t necessary until temperatures reach the mid 30’s. Bellow that there’s a few options. When dry camping (camping without shore power) indoor safe propane heaters like “The Little Buddy” work well to heat but create moisture so be sure to use sparingly and vent well. If you have a power source an electric space heater is ideal and a small one is typically all you need. In any small camper condensation is a concern in cold weather camping, electric heat helps to keep the cabin dry and always vent a bit even in cold weather.

Do you install air conditioning?

Both doors have screened windows that open, between the windows and the 10 speed powered roof vent you get lots of cross ventilation so in most cases Air Conditioning is not needed. If you camp in extreme heat we can do a small side mounted 5,000 BTU unit. With any camper you purchase for an Air Conditioner to function it requires either 110V AC power (shore power) or a generator so the “AC Shore Power” option is also required.

Will roof top solar work with a roof top tent?

Not well. If you have or are planning on getting a roof top tent we recommend having us install a solar plug hardwired to the battery so you can plug in a portable suitcase style solar panel. You’ll want a panel around 80 watts and make sure it comes with a charge controller.

Does the Teardrop come with leveling jacks?

Every Teardrop comes with a wheeled tongue mounted trailer jack which does front to back leveling. For side to side leveling you can just move it around by hand to find the flat spot or in extremely slanted spots use rocks or leveling blocks to even out the low side. If you’re planning on using a roof tent we do suggest the rear leveling jack option so the people above don’t shake the trailer when shifting in the night. 

What kind of maintenance is required with my Teardrop?

That’s the beauty of a Bend Teardrop, almost none. Unlike most campers there’s no need to winterize them or prepare for long term storage. Once a year you’ll want to tighten the wheels and lube the hubs which is easy to do with a grease gun and that’s about it.

Do you warranty your Teardrops?

Yes we warranty against manufactures defects for 2 years, which is a year longer then most our competition. We build them simply enough there’s not much that can go wrong but typically any issue can be fixed in a few hours. If something does occur we make any repairs a priority.

Do the Teardrops lock?

Yes each door has a latch lock that locks from the outside and a deadbolt that locks from the inside. The back hatch locks and so does the optional tongue mounted storage box.

How do I secure my Teardrop?

There’s several options for hitch locks. We like the kind that lock through the hitch pin hole that way it’s secure driving down the road and when you get to camp you can unhook then lower the locking lever and reattach the lock. For long term outside storage a tire lock is recommend.

Do I need to register my Teardrop with DMV?

In the State of Oregon if the trailer is less than 1,800lb and there’s no permanent stove installed it’s considered a utility trailer and does not need to be registered, your State may differ. Each Bend Teardrop Trailer comes with a VIN, Certificate of Origin and Bill of Sale which is all you need to register in most states. We don’t charge sales tax but your State may when you register it. At the very least we suggest you insure it in most cases all your insurance company needs is your VIN and camper insurance is typically inexpensive.

Do you offer delivery of your Teardrops?

No we don’t offer delivery but there’s several companies that will pick up your completed Camper and tow it to you. Uship.com is one our customers have used before. It’s typically not cheap (usually a $1/mile) so most our out of town customers come pick them up and camp along the way home.

Do you offer financing?

We do not offer in-house financing but have worked with several of our customers banks to help them secure a loan. We can provide all the necessary paperwork to help you get approved. We’ve had the best luck with Credit Unions not the big Banks. Most Banks want to do 100% financing if that’s the case we can do a smaller deposit amount if you provide us with pre-approval documentation. To start the process check out our buy page, pick out which model and options you want then email us your list (bendteardrop@gmail.com). We will then put together an invoice you can give to your bank. Let your bank know since your Teardrop is yet to be built we won’t have a VIN, Certificate of Origin or Bill of Sale until about a month before your approximate completion date.

%d bloggers like this: